Update Wear OS on your watch
Wear OS is Google’s operating system for smartwatches. It’s important to keep your Wear OS watch up to date with the latest version of Wear OS to get the latest features and bug fixes.
You can easily update Wear OS if your watch is designed to use Wear OS. Many new watches with Wear OS 2 can upgrade to Wear OS 3. Which operating system you can use on your smartwatch will depend largely on which smartwatch you have. The older or cheaper smartwatches may not support the Wear OS (operating system). If your smartwatch isn’t currently using a Wear OS version, then you will not be able to upgrade to a newer Wear OS.
Manufacturers design their watches for a specific operating system. Many watch manufacturers have their own OS for the watches they release. So, for example, a Samsung smartwatch that has a Samsung operating system on it will not support a Wear operating system. However, the new Samsung watches have the Wear OS pre-installed. Other manufacturers that support Wear OS include Fossil, FitBit, and TicWatch. More will become available as the Wear OS matures.
How to check to see what operating system you have
Your smartwatch has an operating system (OS) software version and a system software version.
- Power up your smartwatch.
- Touch Settings and then System.
- Touch About and then Versions.
Which watches can upgrade to Wear OS 3?
As time goes by, more and more watches are being released that can run with Wear OS 3. You can check the website of your watch manufacturer to verify if your watch brand and model will support Wear OS 3. As of the time of this post, the following manufacturers currently have, or will soon have, watches that will operate Wear OS 3:
- Fossil Gen 6
- Moto 360 3rd Gen
- Michael Kors Gen 6
- TAG Heuer Calibre E4
- Emporio Armani 3
- Skagen Falster 6
- Samsung (Galaxy watch 4 and 5)
- TicWatch Pro 3 and E3
How to upgrade the Wear OS system version?
System updates are normally automatic and you shouldn’t need to do a manual update. But, if you want to check if an upgrade to a newer version is possible, here’s how to do it:
- Before you update the OS on your watch, uninstall the the Smartwatch companion app on your phone.
- Press the Power button
- Use the backup and restore function to do a backup of your watch. How to backup your smartwatch?
- Make sure your watch is free from any software problems by doing a factory reset before you upgrade you OS. – How to factory reset your smartwatch?
- Touch Settings, then touch System, and then About
- Scroll down and touch System updates. If an update is available for your smartwatch model, an update will download. If nothing downloads, then the system is already up to date for your smartwatch.
How to update Apps on your watch?
- Press the Power button
- Open the Play Store app
- Swipe down and touch My Apps
- Look for “Updates available” and download the OS or apps you want.
If “Updates available” is not displayed, then there are not any updates for your smartwatch and all your apps are up to date. If you know you have an old version of Wear OS, and you don’t see “Updates available” then the newer versions of Wear OS are not compatible with your smartwatch.
Benefits of upgrading a smartwatch to Wear OS 3:
- Improved performance and battery life: Wear OS 3 is designed to be faster and more responsive than Wear OS 2. It also has improved battery life, so you can use your smartwatch for longer without having to worry about it running out of power.
- New and improved user interface: Wear OS 3 has a new and improved user interface that is more modern and streamlined. It also includes a new app drawer and customizable tiles, so you can easily access your favorite apps and features.
- Built-in Google Assistant: Wear OS 3 includes a built-in Google Assistant, so you can control your smartwatch with your voice. You can also use the Google Assistant to get information, set reminders, and more.
- Faster app loading times: Wear OS 3 apps load faster than Wear OS 2 apps, so you can start using your favorite apps sooner.
- More features and apps: Wear OS 3 has a number of new features and apps, such as a new Google Maps app, a new Google Home app, and a new Fitbit app.
Overall, upgrading to Wear OS 3 can provide a number of benefits for smartwatch users. It can improve the performance and battery life of your smartwatch, give you access to new features and apps, and make it easier to use your smartwatch with your voice.
It is important to note that not all Wear OS 3 features are available on all devices. For example, some features, such as the Google Assistant, are only available on devices with a built-in speaker. Additionally, some devices may require a software update to receive Wear OS 3. Be sure to check with your device manufacturer for more information.
Common problems and solutions for upgrading Wear OS on a smartwatch:
Problem: I can’t find the Wear OS update on my smartwatch.
Solution: Make sure that your smartwatch is connected to Wi-Fi and that you have the latest version of the Wear OS app installed on your phone. Then, try checking for updates again.
Problem: My smartwatch is getting stuck during the update process.
Solution: Try restarting your smartwatch and your phone. Then, try updating your smartwatch again.
Problem: My smartwatch is not working properly after the update.
Solution: Try restarting your smartwatch. If that doesn’t work, try resetting your smartwatch to factory settings.
Problem: I’m getting an error message when I try to update my smartwatch.
Solution: Try restarting your smartwatch and your phone. Then, try updating your smartwatch again. If you’re still getting an error message, contact your smartwatch manufacturer for support.
- Make sure that your smartwatch has enough battery life before you start the update process.
- Don’t use your smartwatch while it’s updating.
Frequently asked questions and answers for upgrading Wear OS on a smartwatch:
Q: What should I do if I’m having trouble updating my Wear OS smartwatch?
A: If you’re having trouble updating your Wear OS smartwatch, try the following:
- Make sure that your smartwatch is connected to Wi-Fi and has enough battery life.
- Restart your smartwatch and your phone.
- Clear the cache and data for the Wear OS app on your phone.
- Try updating your smartwatch again.
Q: What are the risks of upgrading to the latest version of Wear OS?
A: Upgrading to the latest version of Wear OS is generally safe, but there is always a small risk of problems. For example, the update process could fail, or the new version of Wear OS could have bugs that affect your smartwatch.
To minimize the risk of problems, it’s important to back up your smartwatch before you update it. You should also make sure that you have the latest version of the Wear OS app installed on your phone.
Additional helpful information:
It is also very important that you keep the Apps on your smartwatch up to date. Update Smartwatch Apps Automatically